The No. 48 University of South Florida men’s tennis team advanced to the BIG EAST Championship semifinals with a 4-0 shutout of Marquette on Friday at the Courtney Tennis Center on the campus of Notre Dame University.
The Bulls took two of three doubles matches to earn that point and picked up wins from Lucas Jovita, Romain Deridder and Federico Sabogal to secure the win.
"The first match in the tournament is always a little tough," USF head coach Don Barr said. "We battled through it though, and we'll need to play better tommorow to have a chance to advance to the championship match."
Sabogal clinched the match with a 6-1, 6-2 victory over Thibault Troude at No. 4 after Deridder downed Otavio Perim 7-5, 6-2 at No. 3. Jovita was the first off the courts after blanking Jose Carlos Gutierrez at No. 1.
Wael Kilani and Sabogal downed Perim and Troude 9-8 in the pivotal doubles match to clinch that point. Jovita and Jamal Adderley set up the win with an 8-4 victory over Jonathan Scherwin and Jose Manuel Munoz.
The Bulls will play either Notre Dame or Georgetown at 9 a.m. ET on Saturday.
No. 3 USF, 4 vs. No. 6 Marquette, 0
April 29, 2011
Courtney Tennis Center – 9:30 a.m.
1. Lucas Jovita/Jamal Adderley (USF) def. Jonathan Schwerin/Jose Manuel Munoz (MU), 8-4
2. Dan Mamalat/Jose Crowley (MU) def. Yannick Yoshizawa/Romain Deridder (US), 8-4
3. Wael Kilani/Federico Sabogal (USF) Otavio Perim/Thibault Troude (MU), 9-8 (1)*
Order of Finish: 1, 2, 3*
1. Lucas Jovita (USF) def. Jose Carlos Guiterrez Crowley (MU), 6-0, 6-0
2. Wael Kilani (USF) vs. Dan Mamalat (MU), 6-3, 3-6, 2-2 DNF
3. Romain Deridder (USF) def. Otavio Perim (MU), 7-5, 6-2
4. Federico Sabogal (USF) def. Thibault Troude (MU), 6-1, 6-2*
5. Yannick Yoshizawa (USF) vs. Logan Collins (MU), 3-6, 4-5 DNF
6. Juan Carlos Acuna Gerard (USF) vs. Drake Kakar (MU), 6-7, 4-1 (5) DNF
Order of Finish: 1, 3, 4*
Match Duration: 3:25