Bulls Lose Heartbreaker to No. 17 Baylor
TAMPA (March 6, 2017) – A cold and windy evening in Bradenton, Fla., set the stage for the USF men’s tennis team to take on their fourth Top 25 opponent of the season. The match came down to the very last court where freshman Pierre Luquet went to a third set, and two tiebreaks before falling 4-6, 7-6(2), 7-6(4).
USF clinched the doubles point, and started singles play with a one-point advantage. It was a fight from the very start as three Bulls, Alberto Barroso-Campos, Vadym Kalyuzhnyy Pierre Luquet knocked out their first set with a win.
No. 83 Barroso-Campos and senior Vadym Kalyuzhnyy lead the team in singles wins, and both improved to 7-2 after victories against Baylor. Barroso-Campos was the only Bull to win in straight sets, defeating No. 50 Johannes Schretter, 7-5, 6-2, and Kalyuzhnyy notched a 6-4, 3-6, 6-2 decision to help tie up the match.
Freshman Pierre Luquet took his first set 6-4, but could not overcome Baylor’s Constantin Frantzen as they entered tiebreakers to decide both of the final sets, and ultimately the match.
In doubles play, Justin Roberts and Peter Bertran worked over Baylor’s Juan Benitez and Max Tchoutakian in a 6-3 win, but the Bears replied with a 6-3 victory on court three. Senior Sasha Gozun and Barroso-Campos took court one, 6-4, to clinch the doubles point.
· Vadym Kalyuzhnyy and Alberto Barroso-Campos lead the team in singles wins, both 7-2.
Coach Ashley Fisher on the tough loss…
“I’m proud of the fight, and while it was a gut wrenching loss in the sense that we were one point away, it shows that with some tiny improvement we will begin beating these Top 20 teams. Tonight was a reminder why college tennis is special with twelve guys leaving it all out there and unfortunately someone had to lose.”
The USF men’s tennis team will go back home for a doubleheader Wednesday where they face North Florida at 10 a.m., and UNCW directly after.
1. #13 Juan Benitez (BU) def. Sasha Gozun (USF) 7-6(3), 4-6, 6-2
2. #39Max Tchoutakian (BU) def. Justin Roberts (USF) 6-2, 7-5
3. #83 Alberto Barroso-Campos def. Johannes Schretter (BU) 7-5, 6-2
4. Jimmy Bendeck (BU) def. Peter Bertran (USF) 6-4, 2-6, 7-5
5. Vadym Kalyuzhnny def. Will Little 6-4, 3-6, 6-2
6. Constantin Frantzen (BU) def. Pierre Luquet (USF) 4-6, 7-6(2), 7-6(3)
1. Gozun/Barroso-Campos (USF) def. Little/Fratzen (BU) 6-4
2. Roberts/Bertran (USF) def. Benitez/Tchoutakian (BU) 6-3
3. Schretter/Bendneck (BU) def. Kalyuzhnyy/Wojcik (6-3)
Be sure to follow USF men’s tennis on social media (Twitter / Facebook / Instagram) and visit GoUSFBulls.com for the most up-to-date information. Head coach Ashley Fisher will begin his first year at the helm of the program for the 2017 season after serving as an assistant coach in 2016. The USF men’s tennis program has won three consecutive American Athletic Conference Championships and advanced to three straight NCAA tournaments.
– #GoBulls –