Bulls Win Third Straight With Sweep of VCU
TAMPA (March 10, 2017) – The USF men’s tennis improved to 7-5 Friday afternoon after sophomore Alberto Barroso-Campos claimed his fifth clinch this season, and the Bulls defeated VCU in a 4-0 sweep.
USF kicked off singles with a 1-0 advantage, and the Bulls finished in three quick straight-set matches. Senior Sasha Gozun made quick work of Daryl Monfils, 6-3, 6-2, and No. 98 Peter Bertran posted a pair of 6-2 wins to put the Bulls within one point of clinching. USF won the first set on every court, but it was Barroso-Campos who finished off VCU, 6-2, 7-5.
· This win puts the Bulls on a three-win streak.
· Barroso-Campos leads the team in singles with a 10-2 record.
· Barroso-Campos has clinched five matches for the Bulls.
Head coach Ashley Fisher on Barroso-Campos’ success…
“He’s playing well, and he’s got a lot of confidence. He’s a winner. He got a lot of wins last season when he was at St. Leo, and he’s just a very good player that works hard in practice and that’s translating well in the matches.”
Head Coach Ashley Fisher on Saturday’s match against Penn State…
“We just have to come out and execute, have a lot of energy and focus on the things we do well.”
The Bulls will fill the weekend with matches, finishing off the tournament Saturday against Penn State at 11 a.m., and competing in their first conference match Sunday at 1 p.m. against Tulsa.
1. Sasha Gozun (USF) def. Daryl Monfils (VCUM) 6-3, 6-2
2. Justin Roberts (USF) vs. Marten Jonsson (VCUM) 6-3, 3-3, unfinished
3. #122 Alberto Barroso-Campos (USF) def. Vitor Lima (VCUM) 6-2, 7-5
4. #98 Peter Bertran (USF) def. Inaki Rivero Crespo (VCUM) 6-2, 6-2
5. Pierre Luquet (USF) vs. Arvid Noren (VCUM) 6-3, 5-2, unfinished
6. Nils Heimer (USF) vs. Javier Amantegui (VCUM) 7-6 (8-6), 2-4, unfinished
Be sure to follow USF men’s tennis on social media (Twitter / Facebook / Instagram) and visit GoUSFBulls.com for the most up-to-date information. Head coach Ashley Fisher will begin his first year at the helm of the program for the 2017 season after serving as an assistant coach in 2016. The USF men’s tennis program has won three consecutive American Athletic Conference Championships and advanced to three straight NCAA tournaments.
– #GoBulls –