Bulls Fall to No. 7 USC, 4-0
INDIAN WELLS, Calif. (March 17, 2017) – The USF men’s tennis team (9-6) fought in a difficult match against USC, ultimately falling 4-0.
USC took courts one, three and six in straight sets to clinch the match. On court one the No. 16 singles player in the country, Brandon Holt, defeated Sasha Gozun, 6-4, 6-2. On court six Riley Smith defeated freshman Pierre Luquet, 6-0, 6-4, and No. 45 Logan Smith clinched the match on court three with a 6-2, 6-3 victory over Peter Bertran.
In doubles, the Bulls dropped a 6-1 set on court three to give the Trojans the advantage. The No. 19 pair in the country, Holt and R. Smith clinched the doubles point on court one with a 6-4 victory over senior Gozun and sophomore Alberto Barroso-Campos.
Head Coach Ashley Fisher on the loss…
“USC outplayed us today and we struggled in the windy conditions and desert air. We have a quick turn around and will come out hungry tomorrow knowing we have two more opportunities against quality opponents."
The Bulls will face either Tulsa or No. 9 Sooners tomorrow for the second day of the tournament.
1. Brandon Holt (USC) def. Sasha Gozun (USF) 6-4, 6-2
2. Alberto Barroso-Campos (USF) vs. Nich Crystal (USC ) Unfinished
3. No. 45 Logan Smith (USC) def. Peter Bertran (USF) 6-2, 6-3
4. Justin Roberts (USF) vs. Jack Jaede (USC) Unfinished
5. Vadym Kaluzhnyy (USF) vs. Thibault Forget (USC) Unfinished
6. Riley Smith (USC) def. Pierre Luquet (USF) 6-0, 6-4
1. Holt/Smith (USC) def. Gozun/Barroso-Campos (USF) 6-4
3. Bellamy/Jaede def. Kalyuzhnyy/Wojcik 6-1
Be sure to follow USF men’s tennis on social media (Twitter / Facebook / Instagram) and visit GoUSFBulls.com for the most up-to-date information. Head coach Ashley Fisher will begin his first year at the helm of the program for the 2017 season after serving as an assistant coach in 2016. The USF men’s tennis program has won three consecutive American Athletic Conference Championships and advanced to three straight NCAA tournaments.
– #GoBulls –