Bulls Fall to Rice in 4-0 Sweep
HOUSTON (April 7, 2017) – The USF women’s tennis team (9-9) fell to Rice, 4-0, Friday afternoon.
The Owls utilized the doubles point and straight-set wins on one, two and three to clinch the match over the Bulls. Rice posted a pair of 6-1, 6-0 wins on courts one and two, and a 6-3, 6-1 win on three to clinch the match.
The Bulls battled in doubles posting a 6-4 win on court two after the Owls took court three, 6-0. Down to court one to decide the point, Rice clinched the point in a tiebreak, 7-6(5).
The USF women’s tennis team will stay at Rice for a match against Marshall at 11 a.m. ET, and will finish the weekend with a conference match against Houston at 2 p.m. ET.
1. #119 Lindsey Hodge (RICE) def. Ana Roman (USF) 6-1, 6-0
2. Katherine Ip (RICE) def. Juliana Cardoso (USF) 6-1, 6-0
3. Wendy Zhang (RICE) def. Vera Bessonova (USF) 6-3, 6-1
4. Fernanda Astete (RICE) vs. Nicole Dzenga (USF) 6-2, 5-1, unfinished
5. Savannah Durkin (RICE) vs. Vanja Klaric (USF) 3-6, 4-2, unfinished
6. Alison Ho (RICE) vs. Jessica Chaves (USF) 6-4, 0-2, unfinished
1. #65 Lindsey Hodge/Wendy Zhang (RICE) def. Juliana Cardoso/Olga Martinez (USF) 7-6 (7-5)
2. Vera Bessonova/Vanja Klaric (USF) def. Alison Ho/Priya Niezgoda (RICE) 6-4
3. Savannah Durkin/Katherine Ip (RICE) def. Nicole Dzenga/Jessica Chaves (USF) 6-0
Be sure to follow USF women’s tennis on social media (Twitter / Facebook / Instagram) and visit GoUSFBulls.com for the most up-to-date information. The USF women’s tennis program returns all singles players from a squad that advanced to the championship match of the conference tournament. Head coach Cristina Moros will be in her second year at the helm of the program after leading USF to an impressive 17-7 season in 2016.
– #GoBulls –