By TOM ZEBOLD
USF Senior Writer
The No. 40 Bulls hit a bump in the opening match of their road trip on Friday.
Paula Montoya was the only USF singles player to really make a Notre Dame opponent work in the Bulls' 7-0 loss to the No. 19 Irish in Indiana.
Montoya took the first set from Chrissie McGaffigan, 6-4, before slipping in the second set and a tiebreaker. Notre Dame (16-7) improved to 4-0 in Big East play at the Courtney Tennis Center on senior day for the program.
USF (14-8) gets a chance to bounce back at noon on Sunday when it plays DePaul in Chicago in the Bulls' final match before heading home to host the Big East Championships April 19-22 at the USF Varsity Courts.
No. 19 Notre Dame 7, No. 40 USF 0
1. #54 Shannon Mathews (ND) def. #42 Ecaterina Vasenina (USF) 6-2, 6-0
2. #104 Kristy Frilling (ND) def. L. Alonso Martinez (USF) 6-2, 6-2
3. Britney Sanders (ND) def. Fanny Fracassi (USF) 6-3, 6-1
4. Jennifer Kellner (ND) def. Danielle Mills (USF) 6-1, 6-0
5. Chrissie McGaffigan (ND) def. Paula Montoya (USF) 4-6, 6-4, 1-0 (10-4)
6. Katherine White (ND) def. Alessandra Bonte (USF) 6-1, 6-1
1. #5 Kristy Frilling/Shannon Mathews (ND) def. #49 Ecaterina Vasenina/L. Alonso Martinez (USF) 8-4
2. #85 Julie Sabacinski/Britney Sanders (ND) def. Paula Montoya/Lucie Rey (USF) 8-1
3. Jennifer Kellner/Chrissie McGaffigan (ND) def. Danielle Mills/Fanny Fracassi (USF) 8-2
USF 14-8; National ranking #40
Notre Dame 16-7; National ranking #19
Order of finish: Doubles (2, 1, 3); Singles (4,6,3,2,1,5)