Bulls Dominate in Opening Round of Big East
BY BRITTANY WEINER
Specia to GoUSFBulls.com
TAMPA - The USF women's tennis team's quest for a Big East Championship title has officially begun with a win in their first match of the tournament.
The second-seeded Bulls defeated seven-seed Marquette 4-0 Friday afternoon at the USF Varsity Courts in front of a large USF crowd.
"It was a tough situation because coming to the Big East there's high expectations," said head coach Agustin Moreno. "The Girls were very motivated, but at the same time when an event starts and there's been so much talking about it, it's hard to get into it right. I was a little bit nervous, but we handled it right."
The Bulls came out strong in doubles, with partners Alessandra Bonte and Kate Parker defeating their opponents 8-3. Ecaterina Vasenina and Loreto Alonso Martinez won 8-2 to clinch the doubles point for USF.
"We were a little bit tight at the beginning, but we started winning at every court and then momentum went up and it all went to singles too," said the sophomore Moreno.
Vasenina defeated Marquette's Gillian Hush 6-2, 6-0 at the No. 1 position. Martinez was also able to defeat her opponent in just two sets, winning 6-1, 6-0.
"It's such a great feeling, especially since we're playing at home because the people were cheering for us," said the junior Vasenina.
Fanny Fracassi won the deciding point 6-0, 6-3 against Ali Dawson to give USF the 4-0 win.
The Big East Championships will continue through Sunday at three different locations on the USF campus.
"The courts look great for us. Everyone is saying how good of a tournament this is and we're so proud. We love that the tournament is here," said Martinez.
The Bulls will play Saturday in the semi-finals against the winner of the Syracuse and Louisville match at 9 a.m. at the USF Varsity Courts.
For more information on the tournament, click here.
1. Ecaterina Vasenina (USF) def. Gillian Hush (MU) 6-2, 6-0
2. Loreto Alonso Martinez (USF) def. Rocio Diaz (MU) 6-1, 6-0
3. Fanny Fracassi (USF) def. Ali Dawson (MU) 6-0, 6-3*
4. Danielle Mills (USF) vs. Vanessa Foltinger (MU) 6-1, 5-0 DNF
5. Paula Montoya (USF) vs. Ana Pimienta (MU) 6-4, 5-4 DNF
6. Alessandra Bonte (USF) vs. Kristina Radan (MU) 7-6 (6) DNF
1. E. Vasenina/L. Martinez (USF) def. K. Radan/A. Pimienta (MU) 8-2*
2. A. Bonte/K. Parker (USF) def. R. Diaz/A. Dawson (MU) 8-3
3. F. Fracassi/D. Mills (USF) vs. G. Hush/V. Foltinger (MU) 6-3 DNF
Order of Finish: 2, 1, 3*