USF Battles to Runner-Up Finish in Big East
By BRITTANY WEINER
Special to GoUSFBulls.com
TAMPA - After defeating Marquette, Louisville and battling a series of rain delays, the USF women's tennis team lost in the Big East Championship finals.
The second-seeded Bulls were defeated by the Irish, 4-1, at the USF Varsity Tennis Courts on Sunday in front of a spirited USF crowd.
"Notre Dame is a very tough team, one of the toughest teams in the nation. We gave them a fight," said head coach Agustin Moreno.
Paula Montoya was the lone winner for the Bulls, defeating her opponent in just two sets.
"It was tough, but we did it yesterday in the semifinals, and we gave it a shot today. Notre Dame is just very tough," said Moreno.
With a first-round bye, the Bulls defeated seven-seed Marquette, 4-0, to move them into the semifinal match against sixth-seed Louisville, where they also won 4-0 and got the chance to play for the Big East Championship title.
This was the Bulls' fifth trip to the Big East Championship finals since joining the conference in 2006.
"The tournament was very well organized. Everybody did a great, great job and the atmosphere was great," said Moreno.
Notre Dame 4, USF 1
- Shannon Mathews (ND) vs. Ecaterina Vasenina (USF) 7-6 (4), 2-3 DNF
- Kristy Frilling (ND) def. Loreto Alonso Martinez (USF) 6-1, 6-1
- Britney Sanders (ND) def. Fanny Fracassi (USF) 7-5, 6-4
- Jennifer Kellner (ND) def. Danielle Mills (USF) 6-4, 6-2*
- Paula Montoya (USF) def. Chrissy McGaffigan (ND) 6-2, 6-3
- Katherine White (ND) def. Alessondra Bonte (USF) 4-6, 6-1, 3-1 DNF
- Kristy Frilling/Shannon Mathews (ND) def. Ecaterina Vasenina/Lucie Rey (USF) 8-2
- Julie Sabacinski/Britney Sanders (ND) vs. Alessondra Bonte/Kate Parker (USF) 7-6 DNF
- Jenniger Kellner/Chrissy McGaffigan (ND) def. Fanny Fracassi/Danielle Mills (USF) 8-6*
Order of Finish: 2, 5, 3, 4*