Bulls Start Spring With Win Over Syracuse
By TOM ZEBOLD
USF Senior Writer
TAMPA - Strong play out of the gates set the tone for what turned out to be a dominating victory for the Bulls in their spring opener.
The USF women's tennis team swept doubles play and rolled to a 6-1 victory over Syracuse on Saturday afternoon at the USF Varsity Courts.
"We started off well on all courts," head coach Agustin Moreno said. "I was pleased because it was our first competition and we competed really well for our first match."
Moreno wanted to see what level his players were at after a lengthy holiday break and the Bulls proved they've been working hard since the fall season finale. Danielle Mills and Alessandra Bonte started things off with an 8-0 win over Komal Sufdor and Emily Weisberg.
Mills, a senior, was first off the courts in doubles and singles after she cruised past Sufdar, 6-0, 6-4, to secure another point for USF.
"She played really well, I was very pleased," Moreno said. "I think during our break she really took things seriously, and that's why she won."
USF also got doubles victories from the No. 1 team of Katie Vasenina and Loreto Alonso Martinez, who toughed out an 8-4 decision over Maddie Kobelt and Sophia Dzulynsky. Fanny Fracassi and Paula Montoya also won in doubles.
Vasenina headed into competition ranked 35th nationally in singles play and she started off the season with a 6-2, 6-3 win over Rodgers in the top spot. Montoya also got her first singles win of the spring by defeating Emily Weisberg, 6-0, 6-3.
USF's next event is the University of Michigan Classic next weekend in Ann Arbor.
1. Alonso/Vasenina (USF) def. Maddie Kobelt/Sophia Dzulynsky, 8-4
2. Fracassi/Montoya (USF) def. Amanda Rodgers/Jimena Wu, 8-3
3. Mills/Bonte (USF) def. Komal Sufdor/Emily Weisberg, 8-0
1. Vasenina (USF) def. Rodgers, 6-2, 6-3
2. Kobelt (Syr) def. Alonso Martinez, 6-1, 6-2
3. Mills (USF) def. Sufdar, 6-0, 6-4
4. Fracassi (USF) def. Wu, 6-1, 5-7 (10-5)
5. Montoya (USF) def. Weisberg, 6-0, 6-3
6. Bonte (USF) def. Dzulunski, 6-7, 7-6 (4) (14-12)