By TOM ZEBOLD
USF Senior Writer
TAMPA - The No. 43 USF women's tennis team was unable to stop No. 1 Florida from winning its 29th consecutive season opener.
Paula Montoya was the lone Bull to win a set in USF's 7-0 loss Tuesday afternoon at Linder Stadium at Ring Tennis Complex in Gainesville. Montoya, a sophomore, took the first set against Olivia Janowicz before the UF junior rallied for a 4-6, 6-1, 6-1 victory in the longest match of the day.
Fanny Fracassi put up a fight in the first set of her 7-5, 6-0 loss to Danielle Collins, who was making her dual match debut for the Gators. Florida has an all-time home record of 443-25 and its last home loss was on May 15, 2004 against Miami in the NCAA tournament.
USF was without top player Katie Vasenina, who is recovering from an ankle injury but will be ready to go when the Bulls host Florida State on Saturday.
"The Gators are very tough and they had all their players ready. It's hard to compete against the national champions when we were not a complete team," USF head coach Agustin Moreno said.
The Bulls' battle with the Seminoles is scheduled for 11 a.m. Saturday in Tampa. Admission is free all regular season at the USF Varsity Courts.
No. 43 South Florida at No. 1 Florida
Linder Stadium at Ring Tennis Complex
FINAL SCORE: Florida 7, South Florida 0
Doubles (order of finish: 2, 1*)
1. Lauren Embree/Sofie Oyen, UF d. Kayla Rizzolo/Danielle Mills, USF, 8-4* (:48)
2. Danielle Collins/Olivia Janowicz,UF d. Alessandra Bonte/Loreto Alonso Martinez, USF, 8-1 (:35)
3. Alexandra Cercone/Brianna Morgan, UF led Fanny Fracassi/Paula Montoya, USF, 7-3 DNF
Singles (order of finish: 2, 1, 3*, 6, 5, 4)
1. Lauren Embree (5), UF d. Loreto Alonso Martinez (50), USF, 6-1, 6-1 (1:09)
2. Sofie Oyen (1), UF d. Danielle Mills, USF, 6-1, 6-2 (1:01)
3. Danielle Collins, UF d. Fanny Fracassi, USF, 7-5, 6-0* (1:28)
4. Olivia Janowicz (114), UF d. Paula Montoya, USF, 4-6, 6-1, 6-1 (1:51)
5. Brianna Morgan (66), UF d. Alessandra Bonte, USF, 6-2, 6-2 (1:37)
6. Caroline Hitimana (t-82), UF d. Kate Parker, USF, 6-4, 6-0 (1:30)