By CURSTEN TAYLOR
Special to GoUSFBulls.com
TAMPA - The Bulls' three-match winning streak over Florida State came to an end Saturday at the USF Varsity Courts.
The USF women's tennis team's 6-1 loss to the Seminoles capped off a tough stretch of matches that have included losses to Washington in Los Angeles and the defending champion No. 1 ranked Florida Gators in Gainesville.
Alessandra Bonte earned USF's lone point of the day against FSU with a straight-set singles win while senior Kayla Rizzolo and Junior Danielle Mills registered the lone USF doubles victory, 8-1, over Amy Sargent and Mia Vriens.
"There is a point when you have to schedule tough teams, so you get tougher," USF head coach Agustin Moreno said. "I am sure our results will be so much better as time comes."
USF gets back into Big East play Feb. 22 and 24 with matches against St. John's and Georgetown in Flushing Meadows, N.Y.
"I know that we're going to come back and have a winning season," Moreno said.
1. Borthwick/ Cartwright (FSU) def Alonso/Vasenina (USF) 8-4
2. Rizzolo/Mills (USF) def Amy Sargent and Mia Vriens 8-1
3. Segarelli/Schlerch (FSU) def Fracassi/Montoya 8-6
1. Borthwick (FSU) def Vasenina 5-7, 3-6
2. Segarelli (FSU) def Alonso Martinez (USF) 6-3, 7-6
3. Vriens (FSU) def Mills (USF) 6-4, 6-2
4. Sargent (FSU) def Fracassi (USF) 6-4, 6-2
5. Cartwright (FSU) def Montoya (USF) 6-2, 7-6
6. Bonte (USF) def Schlerch (FSU) 6-3, 6-3