By TOM ZEBOLD
USF Senior Writer
TAMPA - The Bulls enjoyed their weekend at the site of the U.S. Open and it showed on the courts.
No. 47 USF edged St. John's in a tough doubles battle and then cruised to a 6-1 victory Saturday at the USTA Billie Jean King National Tennis Center. The Bulls started their weekend with a 7-0 win over Georgetown on Friday in Flushing Meadows, N.Y.
Fanny Fracassi and Paula Montoya set the tone against St. John's by earning an 8-4 doubles victory over Ksenia Mikhaylova and Gvantsa Robakidze. USF clinched the doubles point when Katie Vasenina and Loreto Alonso-Martinez posted an 8-5 victory over Yanita Arnaudova and Amber Washington in the No. 2 slot.
USF took control of the match by getting straight-set singles wins from Danielle Mills, Montoya, Kayla Rizzolo and Fracassi. Alonso-Martinez earned the Bulls' final victory of the day when she rallied past Washington, 2-6, 6-3, 6-4.
The Bulls return to the USF Varsity Courts to host in-state rival UCF on Wednesday at 2 p.m. Admission is free all regular season at the USF Varsity Courts.
USF 6, St. John's 1
Feb. 23, 2013 at Flushing Meadows, N.Y.
(National Tennis Center)
1. Nevena Selakovic (STJ) def. Katie Vasenina (USF) 6-4, 2-6, 1-0 (10-8)
2. Loreto Martinez (USF) def. Amber Washington (STJ) 2-6, 6-3, 6-4
3. Danielle Mills (USF) def. Diamond Adams (STJ) 6-3, 6-1
4. Fanny Fracassi (USF) def. Yanita Arnaudova (STJ) 6-1, 6-2
5. Kayla Rizzolo (USF) def. Ksenia Mikhaylova (STJ) 6-4, 6-0
6. Paula Montoya (USF) def. Gvantsa Robakidze (STJ) 6-3, 6-0
1. Nevena Selakovic/Diamond Adams (STJ) vs. Kayla Rizzolo/Danielle Mills (USF) 5-6, unfinished
2. Katie Vasenina/Loreto Martinez (USF) def. Yanita Arnaudova/Amber Washington (STJ) 8-5
3. Fanny Fracassi/Paula Montoya (USF) def. Ksenia Mikhaylova/Gvantsa Robakidze (STJ) 8-4
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2); Singles (3,6,5,4,1,2)