By TOM ZEBOLD
USF Senior Writer
TAMPA - Oliver Pramming rallied to clinch the decisive point in the Bulls' 4-3 victory over No. 58 South Alabama on Monday afternoon at the USF Varsity Courts.
"There are certain guys that you trust and really feel confident about in those situations. Oliver is definitely one of them," USF head coach Matt Hill said. "It's exciting to see him in the moment. He handles it unbelievably."
South Alabama took the doubles point and jumped out to a 2-0 lead before USF started its comeback. Ignacio Gonzalez-Muniz got things going with a 6-4, 6-3 win over Alex Bernard. Guillermo De Vilchez tied the match at 2 with a 6-4, 6-2 victory over Shayann Vaezzadeh and Ravi Patel gave the Bulls their first lead with a 6-4, 6-3 win over Blake Gregor.
South Alabama (8-8) tied things up at 3 when Cody Hall got past Everth Dzib, 7-5, 6-2, and all eyes shifted to the No. 1 singles spot. Daniel Leitner took the first set, 6-4, before Pramming regrouped and won the next two sets by a 6-3 margin.
"I think the guys handled the situation well after dropping the doubles point. They came out really poised in singles and just kind of went to work on each court," Hill said.
USF (6-5) goes after its third straight win at noon on Saturday when it visits Wisconsin. The Bulls start a four-match home stand Tuesday, March 19 against Drake at 1 p.m.
South Florida 4, #58 South Alabama 3
1. Oliver Pramming (USF) def. #60 Leitner, Daniel (USA) 4-6, 6-3, 6-3
2. Ignacio Gonalez-Muniz (USF) def. Bernard, Alex (USA) 6-4, 6-3
3. Gruindelingh, Gerhar (USA) def. Federico Sabogal (USF) 6-3, 6-2
4. Guillermo De Vilchez (USF) def. Vaezzadeh, Shayann (USA) 6-4, 6-2
5. Ravi Patel (USF) def. Gregor, Blake (USA) 6-4, 6-3
6. Hall, Cody (USA) def. Everth Dzib (USF) 7-5, 6-2
1. #56 Oliver Pramming/Ignacio Gonalez-Muniz (USF) def. Gruindelingh, Gerhar/Troglia, Juan (USA) 8-3
2. Leitner, Daniel/Gregor, Blake (USA) def. Ravi Patel/Guillermo De Vilchez (USF) 9-7
3. Bernard, Alex/Vaezzadeh, Shayann (USA) def. Federico Sabogal/Everth Dzib (USF) 9-8 (8-6)
South Alabama 8-8; National ranking #58
South Florida 6-5
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3,2); Singles (3,2,4,5,6,1)