Bulls Gaining Momentum at Home
By TOM ZEBOLD
USF Senior Writer
TAMPA - The Bulls are starting to get into a groove at the USF Varsity Courts.
The USF women's tennis team continued its home stand Thursday afternoon with a 5-2 victory over Miami (Ohio) that marked the Bulls' second consecutive victory.
Kayla Rizzolo and Danielle Mills posted an 8-5 win over Christine Guerrazzi and Alix Thurman in the No. 1 doubles spot. Katie Vasenina and Loreto Alonso-Martinez also defeated Ana Rajkovic and Nimisha Mohan, 8-5, to help USF grab an early lead.
No. 122 Vasenina cruised past Thurman, 6-0, 6-2, in the top singles position and USF also got straight set victories from Paula Montoya and Alessandra Bonte. The longest match of the day belonged to Alonso-Martinez and the junior handled it well while outlasting Christiana Raymond, 4-6, 7-6 (8), (10-7).
USF's 10-match home stand to finish the regular season continues 11 a.m. Sunday against No. 46 Georgia State. Admission is free all regular season at the USF Varsity Courts.
"I think we fought well and it's great for the team's confidence," USF head coach Agustin Moreno said. "We're looking forward to our match against Georgia State on Sunday. That will be a great opportunity, so we have to win."
USF 5, Miami (Ohio) 2
- Rizzolo/Mills (USF) def Guerrazzi/Thurman (Miami Oh) 8-5
- Vasenina/Alonso-Martinez (USF) def Rajkovic/Mohan 8-5
- Vasenina (USF) def. Thurman 6-0, 6-2
- Alonso-Martinez (USF) def. Raymond (Miami) 4-6, 7-6 (8), (10-7)
- Mohan (Miami) def. Rizzolo (USF) 5-7, 7-6 (5), 2-1 (Rizzolo Ret.)
- Montoya (USF) def. Guerrazzi (Miami) 7-6, 6-3
- Bonte (USF) def. Rajkovic (Miami) 6-3, 6-3
- Costea (Miami) def. Parker (USF) 6-2, 6-3