By TOM ZEBOLD
USF Senior Writer
TAMPA – The No. 68 Bulls didn’t drop a set on the way to cruising past sixth-seeded Villanova, 4-0, in Friday’s Big East quarterfinals at Notre Dame’s indoor courts.
“They were focused and professional about it. It was a great start for us,” head coach Matt Hill said.
Third-seeded USF extended its season-high winning streak to four matches after grabbing an early lead against a Villanova team that had won seven straight. Oliver Pramming and Ignacio Gonzalez-Muniz started with an 8-3 doubles win over Thomas O’Brien and Kelly Donaldson. Everth Dzib and Guillermo De Vilchez clinched the first point of the match by posting an 8-4 win over Ryan Peyton and Chris Seitz.
“It was the start we were looking for,” Hill said.
Gonzalez-Muniz set the tone in singles with a 6-4, 6-1 victory over O’Brien. Pramming followed with a 6-1, 6-1 win over Seitz and Juan Carlos Acuna Gerard locked up the match with a 6-1, 6-1 win over Michael Rosengren.
“I thought the guys did a good job of not overlooking Villanova,” Hill said. “We’re approaching each match with the same intensity and effort. It’s not easy to do that all the time and they did a good job of doing that today.”
USF will face second-seeded Louisville after the conclusion of the Notre Dame-Marquette semifinal match that begins 9 a.m. Saturday.
No. 3 USF, 4 vs. No. 6 Villanova, 0
April 19, 2013
Notre Dame, Ind., 4 p.m.
1. Oliver Pramming/Ignacio Gonzalez-Muniz (USF) def. Thomas O’Brien/Kelly Donaldson (VU) 8-5
2. J.C. Acuna Gerard/Federico Sabogal (USF) vs. Matt Colonnese/Max Levine (VU) 7-4 DNF
3. Everth Dzib/Guillermo De Vilchez (USF) def. Ryan Peyton/Chris Seitz (VU) 8-4*
Order of Finish: 1, 3
1. Oliver Pramming (USF) def. Thomas O’Brien (VU) 6-1, 6-1
2. Ignacio Gonzalez-Muniz (USF) def. Chris Seitz (VU) 6-4, 6-1
3. Federico Sabogal (USF) vs. Ryan Peyton (VU) 6-0, 5-4 DNF
4. Ravi Patel (USF) vs. Max Levine (VU) 6-0, 5-4 DNF
5. J.C. Acuna Gerard (USF) def. Michael Rosengren (VU) 6-1, 6-1*
6. Everth Dzib (USF) vs. Tim Abbracciamento (VU) 6-2, 4-1
Order of Finish: 2, 1, 5
Match Duration: 2:15