By TOM ZEBOLD
USF Senior Writer
TAMPA – The No. 68 Bulls’ season-high winning streak came to an end in Saturday’s Big East semifinals.
Ignacio Gonzalez-Muniz gave third-seeded USF its lone point in a 4-1 loss to second-seeded Louisville at Notre Dame. The Bulls had won four straight matches and made it to the semifinals with a 4-0 victory over sixth-seeded Villanova on Friday.
Gonzalez-Muniz put the Bulls on the scoreboard by getting past Albert Wagner, 7-5, 6-1, in the No. 2 singles spot. Oliver Pramming and Federico Sabogal pushed their opponents to three sets while Ravi Patel hung tough in a 6-4, 6-4 loss to Alex Gornet.
USF will face fourth-seeded Marquette in a consolation match Sunday afternoon. Louisville goes for its fourth straight title when it takes on top-seeded Notre Dame on Sunday morning at 9.
No. 2 Louisville 4, No. 3 USF 1
April 20, 2013
Notre Dame, Ind., 12:30 p.m.
1. Oliver Pramming/Ignacio Gonzalez-Muniz (USF) vs. Sebastian Stiefelmeyer/Van Damrongsri (UofL) 7-3 DNF
2. Chris Simich/Alex Gornet (UofL) def. Juan Carlos Acuna Gerard/Federico Sabogal (USF) 8-4*
3. Albert Wagner/Luis Elizondo (UofL) def. Everth Dzib/Guillermo De Vilchez (USF) 8-3
Order of Finish: 3, 2
1. Sebastian Stiefelmeyer (UofL) vs. Oliver Pramming (USF) 5-7, 6-3, 2-2 DNF
2. Ignacio Gonzalez-Muniz (USF) def. Albert Wagner (UofL) 7-5, 6-1
3. Chris Simich (UofL) vs. Federico Sabogal (USF) 6-1, 4-6, 4-0 DNF
4. Michael Lippens (UofL) def. Guillermo De Vilchez (USF) 6-1, 7-5*
5. Alex Gornet (UofL) def. Ravi Patel (USF) 6-4, 6-4
6. Van Damrongsri (UofL) def. J.C. Acuna Gerard (USF) 6-1, 6-3
Order of Finish: 6, 2, 5, 4
Match Duration: 3:10