Like USF Men's Tennis on Facebook
TAMPA, MARCH 15, 2014 – A day after putting up a fight against No. 6 Illinois, the No. 47 USF men’s tennis team bounced back to defeat No. 42 Pepperdine 4-2 Saturday afternoon at the Atkins Tennis Center.
“We are super proud of how the men responded today after a tough loss the day before,” said head coach Matt Hill. “Pepperdine has a very tough team and they are extremely well coached so we knew it was going to be a huge challenge. Our goal was to compete on three doubles courts and six singles courts and we did that today.”
“We didn’t win every spot but we gave ourselves a chance and that is all we are asking of these guys. If we give ourselves a chance by giving it all we got, this team is showing how successful they can be.”
The Bulls dropped the doubles point but the 69th ranked duo of Oliver Pramming and Ignacio Gonzalez-Muniz won 8-1 at second doubles.
USF rebounded in singles action winning four of the five matches completed. Sasha Gozun and Federico Sabogal won in straight sets winning 7-, 6-2 and 6-1, 6-2 respectively. At second singles, Pramming rebounded after dropping the first set to win 1-6, 6-4, 6-4. Gonzalez-Muniz also bounced back at fifth singles taking the match 5-, 7-6, 6-1.
No. 65 Roberto Cid was beating No. 27 Alex Sarkissian in the third set 5-4 after the two split the first two sets.
USF returns to the USF Varsity Courts on Wednesday, March 19 welcoming Wisconsin to Tampa. The match is set to get underway at 10:00 a.m.
1. #27 Alex Sarkissian (PEP) vs. #65 Roberto Cid (USF) 4-6, 6-2, 4-5, unfinished
2. Oliver Pramming (USF) def. Francis Alcantara (PEP) 1-6, 6-4, 6-4
3. #115 David Sofaer (PEP) def. Vadym Kalyuzhnyy (USF) 6-2, 6-4
4. Sasha Gozun (USF) def. Stefan Menichella (PEP) 7-6, 6-2
5. Ignacio Gonzalez-Muniz (USF) def. Pedro Leme (PEP) 5-7, 7-6, 6-1
6. Federico Sabogal (USF) def. Rakshay Thakkar (PEP) 6-1, 6-2
1. #15 Alex Sarkissian/Francis Alcantara (PEP) def. #24 Roberto Cid/Sasha Gozun (USF) 8-5
2. #69 Oliver Pramming/Ignacio Gonzalez-Muniz (USF) def. Tom Hill/Pedro Leme (PEP) 8-1
3. David Sofaer/Rakshay Thakkar (PEP) def. Everth Dzib/Vadym Kalyuzhnyy (USF) 8-5