Like USF Men's Tennis on Facebook
TAMPA, MARCH 27, 2014 – Returning to action for the first time in over a week, No. 31 USF showed no rust breezing by No. 70 Brown 6-1 Thursday afternoon at the USF Varsity Tennis Courts.
For the second straight match, USF got out to the early 1-0 lead by taking the doubles point. The 33rd ranked tandem of Roberto Cid and Sasha Gozun disposed of Justin To and Lucas Da Silveria, 8-3 at the top spot. Vadym Kalyuzhnyy and Ignacio Gonzalez-Muniz teamed up for the first time this season and bested Brandon Burke and Sam Fife, 8-2 to clinch the point for USF.
The Bulls won five of six singles matches to secure the victory and improve their record to 12-4 on the year. No. 53 Cid, Kalyuzhnyy and Gonzalez-Muniz all won in straight sets for USF to give the hosts a 4-0 advantage. Both Gozun and Federico Sabogal battled back after dropping their first sets to post victories, 4-6, 7-5, 6-4 and 3-6, 6-0, 6-4, respectively.
Brown’s lone victory came at No. 6 singles with Lucas Da Silveria defeating Finn Meinecke, 6-3, 6-4.
USF is right back in action tomorrow as they take on American Athletic Conference rival No. 60 UCF. The match will take place at the USF Varsity Tennis Courts beginning at 3:00 p.m.
1. No. 33 Roberto Cid/Sasha Gozun (USF) def. Justin To/Lucas Da Silveira (Brown) - 8-3
2. Vadym Kalyuzhnyy/Ignacio Gonzalez-Muniz (USF) def. Brandon Burke/Sam Fife (Brown) - 8-2
3. Danny Hirschberg/Greg Garcia (Brown) vs. Finn Meinecke/Paul Polarczyk (USF) - DNF
1. No. 53 Roberto Cid (USF) def. Justin To (Brown) - 6-2 6-2
2. Vadym Kalyuzhnyy (USF) def. Greg Garcia (Brown) - 6-4 7-5
3. Sasha Gozun (USF) def. Brandon Burke (Brown) - 4-6 7-5 6-4
4. Ignacio Gonzalez-Muniz (USF) def. Sam Fife (Brown) - 6-3 7-6(5)
5. Federico Sabogal (USF) def. Danny Hirschberg (Brown) - 3-6 6-0 6-4
6. Lucas Da Silveira (Brown) def. Finn Meinecke (USF) - 6-3 6-4