No. 31 Bulls Shut Out UCF, Finish 10-0 at Home
By TOM ZEBOLD
USF Senior Writer
TAMPA, MARCH 28, 2014 – No. 31 USF started American Athletic Conference play and ended its home slate in perfect fashion by cruising past No. 60 UCF, 7-0, Friday afternoon.
The Bulls (13-4) won all 10 of their matches at the USF Varsity Courts this season and extended their winning streak to four.
“The crowd was good and it was Senior Day for our lone senior Federico Sabogal, so it was a great turnout for that,” head coach Matt Hill said. “Plus we accomplished one of our goals on our list by going undefeated at home this season. It’s always good to protect your home court.”
Hill’s squad secured the doubles point for the third consecutive match. Vadym Kalyuzhnyy and Finn Meinecke had no problem handling Jose Sangroniz and Reece Acree in an 8-1 win before the No. 33 duo of Roberto Cid and Sasha Gozun clinched the doubles point with an 8-4 win over Francesc Aulina and Jesse Flores.
The Bulls improved to 13-4 by getting straight set victories in singles from No. 53 Cid, Kalyuzhnny, Gozun, Ignacio Gonzalez-Muniz and Sabogal. Junior Oliver Pramming bounced back from a first set loss to roll past Inaki Espindola, 0-6, 6-3, 6-3.
USF starts a four-match road trip 7 p.m. Wednesday at Baylor and will tune up for the American Athletic Conference Championships with tests at Tulsa (April 4), MTSU (April 11) and Memphis (April 13). The conference championships take place April 17-20 in Memphis, Tenn.
1 No. 33 Roberto Cid/Sasha Gozun (USF) def. Francesc Aulina/Jesse Flores (UCF), 8-4
2. Oliver Pramming/Ignacio Gonzalez-Muniz (USF) vs. Chris Barrus/Inaki Espindola (UCF), DNF
3. Vadym Kalyuzhnyy/Finn Meinecke (USF) def. Jose Sangroniz/Reece Acree (UCF), 8-1
1 Roberto Cid (USF) def. Francesc Aulina (UCF), 6-2, 6-4
2. Oliver Pramming (USF) def. Inaki Espindola (UCF), 0-6, 6-3, 6-3
3. Vadym Kalyuzhnyy (USF) def. Chris Barrus (UCF), 6-2, 6-0
4. Sasha Gozun (USF) def. Jose Sangroniz (UCF), 7-6, 6-4
5. Ignacio Gonzalez-Muniz (USF) def. Jesse Flores (UCF), 6-2, 6-2
6. Federico Sabogal (USF) def. Reece Acree (UCF), 7-5, 6-2