Bulls Host Rutgers in WNIT Semifinals Wednesday
TAMPA (Apr. 1, 2014) – A buzzer-beating three-pointer Sunday followed by Bowling Green's first home loss of the season Monday is all it took to bring a pair of American Athletic Conference heavyweights together one last time.
After splitting the season series in Rutgers' only year in The American, USF will face off with the Scarlet Knights Wednesday night at 7 p.m. in the Sun Dome in a game that will not only decide the season series, but one that will send a team to the WNIT Championship game.
The Bulls earned their trip to the WNIT Final Four by way of Shalethia Stringfield's monster effort at Mississippi State in the quarterfinals, overshadowed by one of USF's greatest single moments as Courtney Williams went the length of the court to drain a game-winning three-pointer as time expired Sunday (a moment you can relive here).
Rutgers came by way of a dramatic overtime win at home against Seton Hall, and a 13-point effort from Tyler Scaife at Bowling Green to end the Falcons' undefeated home season, along with their WNIT Championship hopes.
Now it almost seems fitting these teams meet in the WNIT Final Four - a pair of teams which passed the eye test for NCAA Tournament bids battling (maybe one game too early) for the right to play for the chance be one of just three teams who get to finish the postseason with a win.
Tickets are on sale for USF's biggest home game of the year, priced at $12 for adults and $8 for kids 18 and under. USF students will receive free admission with the swipe of their USF Card, compliments of head coach Jose Fernandez. Purchase tickets HERE, or by calling 1-800-GO-BULLS.
Students are encouraged to join the student tailgate outside Gate D, starting at 5:30 p.m. for food, music and a chance to win prizes prior to the game. The first 500 students to enter through Gate D will also receive a free USF shirt.
- Student Tailgate outside Gate D (5:30 p.m. start)
- Free Pizza (First 200 students at tailgate)
- Free Student Tickets with valid USF I.D., compliments of head coach Jose Fernandez
- Free USF shirt (First 500 students)
- Chance to win UA Gear Bag, $100 Hooters Gift Card, $100 Columbia Restaurant Gift Card, or one of two Jawbone Jambox Blutooth Speakers (students)
- Free Concession Voucher (First 500 non-students)
The Bulls are closing in on several individual and team milestones heading into Wednesday night's game. Here's a list of a few to keep an eye on:
- Career Points: Inga Orekhova has 1,062, good for 15th in USF history. She needs 33 to tie Jessica Lawson for 14th, and 43 to tie Nalini Miller for 13th.
- Career Rebounds: Akila McDonald sits at 614 rebounds, needing 16 to vault into USF's top 10.
- Single Season Points: Courtney Williams has 567 this season, and needs 26 to reach third all-time. Only one Bull has ever scored 600 points in a season.
- Single Season Rebounds: Alisia Jenkins has 355 this season, needing 22 more to become the best single-season rebounder in USF history.
- Single Season Rebounds: Courtney Williams has 262 this season, needing seven to enter USF's Top 8.
- Single Season Assists: Shalethia Stringfield needs just three assists to tie Shantia Grace (124) for 10th. Stringfield is the sixth Bull in USF history to dish out at least 120 assists.
- Team Rebounds: USF needs 13 rebounds to break the single-season rebounding record, set during the 2008-09 championship season.