USF Defeats UConn 4-0 in American Championship
Like USF Men's Tennis on Facebook
Memphis, Tenn. (April 18, 2014) – No. 26 USF began its quest for the inaugural American Athletic Conference men’s tennis championship Friday morning with a convincing 4-0 victory over UConn at The Racquet Club of Memphis.
The second-seeded Bulls improve to 16-6 on the year while seventh-seeded UConn ends its year at 7-10.
“The guys played very clean today,” said head coach Matt Hill. They played to the standard that represents USF. The guys couldn’t be more ready and excited to play tomorrow.”
USF raced out an early 1-0 lead after taking the doubles point. Vadym Kalyuzhnyy and Finn Meinecke won the first doubles match 8-4 over Joshua Palmer and Parker Goldstein. The 81st ranked pair of Oliver Pramming and Ignacio Gonzalez-Muniz clinched the point as they took down Christopher Toner and Jacob Spreyer 8-2.
In singles action, Sasha Gozun put the first point on the board for USF nearly blanking Ryan Carr, 6-0, 6-1. Gonzalez-Muniz did pitch the shutout breezing by Parker Goldstein 6-0, 6-0. No. 43 Roberto Cid sent the Bulls to the semifinals with a 6-1, 6-2 win over Wayne Harrell.
USF will now square off against third-seeded Louisville, w hich defeated sixth-seeded Temple, 4-0, Friday. The match is scheduled to begin on Saturday at noon.
1. No. 41 Roberto Cid/Sasha Gozun (USF) led Ryan Carr/Wayne Harrell (UConn) 6-5, unfinished
2. No. 81 Oliver Pramming/Ignacio Gonzalez-Muniz (USF) def. Christopher Toner/Jacob Spreyer (UConn) 8-2*
3. Vadym Kalyuzhnyy/Finn Meinecke (USF) def. Joshua Palmer/Parker Goldstein (UConn) 8-4
1. No. 43 Roberto Cid, USF def. Wayne Harrell, UConn 6-1, 6-2*
2. Oliver Pramming (USF) led Jacob Spreyer (UConn) 6-2, 2-2, unfinished
3. Sasha Gozun (USF) def. Ryan Carr (UConn) 6-0, 6-1
4. Vadym Kalyuzhnyy (USF) led Christopher Toner (UConn) 6-0, 4-2, unfinished
5. Ignacio Gonzalez-Muniz (USF) def. Parker Goldstein (UConn) 6-0, 6-0
6. Federico Sabogal (USF) led Andrew Ginzberg (UConn) 6-2, 4-1, unfinished
* Deciding Match
Match Duration: 1:59