Bulls Fall in First Round of NCAA Championship
By TOM ZEBOLD
USF Senior Writer
TAMPA, May 9, 2014 – No. 33 USF’s NCAA Division I Women’s Championship run ended with a 4-0 loss to No. 22 Oklahoma State in Friday’s first round at Ring Tennis Complex in Gainesville.
The American Athletic Conference champion Bulls (18-4) had their program record 15-match winning streak snapped, but head coach Agustin Moreno was proud of what the program accomplished as a whole this season on the way to making USF’s 11th NCAA tournament appearance.
“We had a great year. Oklahoma State is a tough team,” said Moreno, who guided the Bulls to the NCAA tournament for the sixth time. “I’m very proud of the players. If you look at it we had a really good year and we look forward to next season.”
Freshmen Vera Bessonova and Olga Martinez were trailing, 5-4, in their battle with Maria Alvarez and Karyn Guttormsen when doubles play was halted after Oklahoma State clinched the point with wins in the top two spots.
Freshman Olaya Garrido-Rivas injured her knee during her singles match but showed toughness by going the whole way in a 6-1, 6-1 loss to Kanyapat Narattana in the No. 3 spot. Loreto Alonso-Martinez dropped a 6-1, 6-3 decision against No. 52 Viktoriya Lushkova in the top spot before the Cowgirls clinched the match victory when Carla Tur Mari defeated senior Alessandra Bonte, 6-1, 7-5, in the No. 6 position. Bessonova, Martinez and senior Kayla Rizzolo were each leading in their singles matches when play was halted.
“It could have been a comeback, but it was tough loss,” Moreno said.
Alonso-Martinez’s season will continue when the American Player of the Year competes in the NCAA Singles Championship, which begins May 21 in Athens, Ga. Ranked 71st nationally, Alonso-Martinez is 18-6 overall this season and had won 15 consecutive matches heading into the Bulls’ NCAA tournament match against the Cowgirls (16-8).
NCAA Women’s Tennis First Round
No. 33 South Florida vs. No. 22 Oklahoma State
Linder Stadium at Ring Tennis Complex * Gainesville, Florida
Friday, May 9, 2014
Final Score: Oklahoma State 4, USF 0
Doubles (order of finish: 2, 1*)
1. Katarina Adamovic/ Viktoriya Lushkova, OSU d. Loreto Alonso-Martinez/Kayla Rizzolo, USF, 8-2 [:48]*
2. Kanyapat Narattana/Carla Tur Mari, OSU d. Alessandra Bonte/Olaya Garrido-Rivas, USF, 8-1 [:45]
3. Maria Alvarez/Karyn Guttormsen, OSU vs. Vera Bessonova/Olga Martinez, USF, 5-4 DNF
Singles (order of finish: 3, 1, 6*)
1. #52 Viktoriya Lushkova, OSU d. #71 Loreto Alonso-Martinez, USF, 6-1, 6-3 [1:16]
2. Megan McCray , OSU vs. Kayla Rizzolo, USF, 4-6, 3-4 DNF
3. Kanyapat Narattana, OSU d. Olaya Garrido-Rivas, USF, 6-1, 6-1 [1:10]
4. Karyn Guttormsen, OSU vs. Vera Bessonova, USF, 1-6, 3-5 DNF
5. Katarina Adamovic, OSU vs. Olga Martinez, USF, 6-7 (6), 1-0 DNF
6. Carla Tur Mari, OSU vs. Alessandra Bonte, USF, 6-1, 7-5 [1:30]*
Records: Oklahoma State: 16-8 ... South Florida: 18-4
NCAA Seeds: Oklahoma State: 17-32 ... South Florida: 33-48
ITA National Rank: Oklahoma State - 22; South Florida - 33
*indicates clinching doubles point/dual match victory