Bulls Upset No. 2 Seed Tulane in AAC Quarterfinals
ORLANDO (April 20, 2017) – The seventh-seeded USF women’s tennis team upset No. 2 Tulane in the American Athletic Conference Championship quarterfinals Thursday afternoon.
Senior Olga Martinez broke out of a tough first set for a 7-6(4), 6-0 straight-set victory to clinch the match for the Bulls.
With the 1-0 advantage after doubles, Sophomore Ana Roman Dominguez and senior Vera Bessonova finished in straight sets to extend the Bull’s lead 3-0. Tulane answered with a 6-3, 7-5 win over Nicole Dzenga on four.
Tulane struck first in doubles with a 6-1 win on court one over Bessonova and Martinez. However, the Bulls would answer with a pair of 6-4 wins on courts two and three to clinch the doubles point.
USF will take on No. 3 SMU Friday at 3 p.m. Friday afternoon for the semifinal match.
1. Roman (USF) def. Klier (TLN) 6-2, 6-1
2. Bessonova (USF) def. Atkinson (TLN) 6-3, 6-4
3. Cardoso (USF) vs. Alvaro (TLN) unfinished
4. Muller (TLN) def. Dzenga (USF) 6-3, 7-5
5. Cortes Chaves (USF) vs. Sisti (TLN) unfinished
6. Martinez (USF) def. Kurtz (TLN) 7-6(4), 6-0
1. Atkinson S (TLN) / Alvaro I (TLN) def. Bessonova/Martinez (USF) 6-1
2. Cortes Chaves/ Cardoso def. Muller E (TLN) / Kurtz S (TLN) 6-4
3. Roman Dominguez/Dzenga def. Sisti C (TLN) / Klier K (TLN) 6-4
Be sure to follow USF women’s tennis on social media (Twitter / Facebook / Instagram) and visit GoUSFBulls.com for the most up-to-date information. The USF women’s tennis program returns all singles players from a squad that advanced to the championship match of the conference tournament. Head coach Cristina Moros will be in her second year at the helm of the program after leading USF to an impressive 17-7 season in 2016.
– #GoBulls –