Top-Seeded Bulls Advance to Conference Semifinals
ORLANDO (April 21, 2017) – The USF men’s tennis team advanced to the American Athletic Conference semifinals Saturday after No. 107 Peter Bertran lead the Bulls to a 4-0 sweep, clinching the match 6-3, 6-3 on court four.
The Bulls took a 2-0 lead in singles after ECU’s Ronny Georgi retired on court three. USF swept the first set across six courts to gain momentum going into set two, where freshman Jakub Wojcik worked a 6-3, 6-1 match on court six.
A dominant, 6-0, performance by No. 51 Sasha Gozun and Alberto Barroso-Campos gave the Bulls the advantage in doubles, and Bertran and Justin Roberts finished off the point with a 6-4 win on two.
The USF men’s tennis team will continue their pursuit of their fourth American Athletic Conference title with a semifinal match Saturday at noon, they will face either SMU or Memphis based on the quarterfinal results.
1. #61 Sasha Gozun (USF) vs. McGeehan, Freddie (ECU) unfinished
2. Justin Roberts (USF) vs. Anghel, Vlad (ECU) unfinished
3. #116 Alberto Barroso (USF) def. L Georgi, Ronny (ECU) (ret.)
4. #107 Peter Bertran (USF) def. Lehfeldt, Fredric (ECU) 6-3, 6-3
5. Vadym Kalyuzhnyy (USF) vs. Countee, Kasey (ECU) unfinished
6. Jakub Wojcik (USF) def. Renones, Javier (ECU) 6-3, 6-1
1. #51 Sasha Gozun/Alberto Barroso (USF) def. McGeehan F (ECU) / Ling J (ECU) 6-0
2. Justin Roberts/Peter Bertran (USF) def. Anghel V (ECU) / Lehfeldt F (ECU) 6-4
3. Vadym Kalyuzhnyy/Jakub Wojcik (USF) vs. Countee K (ECU) / Georgi R (ECU) unfinished
Be sure to follow USF men’s tennis on social media (Twitter / Facebook / Instagram) and visit GoUSFBulls.com for the most up-to-date information. Head coach Ashley Fisher will begin his first year at the helm of the program for the 2017 season after serving as an assistant coach in 2016. The USF men’s tennis program has won three consecutive American Athletic Conference Championships and advanced to three straight NCAA tournaments.
– #GoBulls –