TAMPA - University of South Florida junior guard Dominique Jones knocked down five three pointers on his way to 23 points in the Bulls' 69-49 victory over San Francisco in the first game of the Las Vegas Holiday Hoops Classic.
Senior Chris Howard added 14 points, scoring more than 13 points in his last five games, and junior Jarrid Famous pitched in 11 points and 10 rebounds in the Bulls' ninth win of the season.
The double-double is Famous' third of his USF career.
Freshman guard Mike Burwell tied his career-high seven points and set a new personal best with four rebounds.
Both teams started the game slow, with only 18 total points scored in the first seven minutes.
With 13 minutes left in the first half, USF went on an 8-0 run to extend the Bulls lead to 17-8 and never looked back.
The Bulls led 39-25 at the half and extended that lead to 54-29 over the first nine minutes of the second period.
USF outrebounded San Francisco 22-12 in the first half and ended the game with an eight-rebound margin.
The Bulls also outshot the Dons 32.3 to 27.3 percent from behind the arc and 70.8 to 53.8 percent from the free throw line. USF matched its season-high with 10 three pointers and held the Dons to just three.
With the victory, USF matches its season win total from a year ago, a season that ended 9-22. The Bulls were 5-8 in non-conference action a season ago, and are 9-2 with one to play this year.
USF's 9-2 record matches the start of the 2001-02 season, a year the Bulls played in the NIT and finished the year 19-13. In 2001-02, the Bulls lost their 12th game to drop to 9-3, then went on to a 12-3 start.
The Bulls face San Diego at 2 p.m. PST on Sunday in the final game of the Las Vegas Holiday Hoops Classic.
USF 69, USF (Calif.) 49
Dec. 19, 2009
South Point Arena, Las Vegas, Nev.
- The Bulls take a 1-0 lead in the all-time series with the victory today.
- USF improves to 2-4 in games in the state of Nevada.
- Head coach Stan Heath is in his 23rd season of coaching, ninth as a head coach and third at USF. He has posted a 142-120 overall record and is 30-43 at USF.
- USF tied its season-high 10 three pointers and held the Dons to just three.
- With 23 points against the Dons, junior guard Dominique Jones has scored 20 points or more in 27 games at USF. In 12 games last season, Jones tallied at least 20 points and he did it 10 times in 2007-08.
- Jones hit five threes in the game, the team's season high this season. Jones' personal career-high is seven, which he hit against Iona on Dec. 27, 2008.
- Senior guard Chris Howard set a personal season high for rebounds with seven against the Dons.
- Howard scored at least 13 points in his fifth-straight game, racking up 14 today.
- Junior forward Jarrid Famous tallied his third double-double of the season with 11 points and 10 rebounds.
- Freshman guard Mike Burwell tied his career-high seven points and set a new personal best with four rebounds.