NEWARK, N.J. (AP) - Jeremy Hazell scored 20 points to lead Seton Hall to a 75-60 victory over the University of South Florida Wednesday night.
The victory enabled the Pirates (15-12, 6-9 Big East) to stay in contention for a postseason tournament berth. They have three regular season games remaining before the Big East Tournament.
Robert Mitchell added 17 points for the Pirates. Seton Hall also received 15 points from Eugene Harvey, who rebounded nicely after going scoreless for the first time in his career in a loss Sunday to St. John's.
Dominique Jones and Augustus Gilchrist paced USF (8-19, 3-12) with 20 points each. Alex Rivas added 18 and 11 rebounds.
The Pirates broke open a close game in the early stages of the second half. After taking a 32-30 lead into halftime, Seton Hall outscored the Bulls 16-4 over the first four minutes of the second half to take a commanding 48-34 lead. Mitchell scored eight in that stretch while Hazell hit two long 3-pointers.
The victory snapped a three-game losing streak for the Pirates, who have now defeated South Florida in all six games in the series.
Post Game Notes
• Up Next: The Bulls return home to take on West Virginia for the second time this season on Sunday, March 1, at 4 p.m. at the Sun Dome. The game is also an alumni reunion weekend for former Bulls basketball players. The game is an ESPN Regional game and can be seen locally on Bright House Sports Network. The game can be heard on WHNZ 1250 and BullsVision.com, with a live blog available on GoUSFBulls.com.
• With his first point, a free throw, at the 17:10 mark of the first half, sophomore guard Dominique Jones became just the 16th player in USF history to score 1,000 career points. He is the second fastest Bull to reach 1,000 and one of only three USF players to do it in two seasons. Jones also became the quickest sophomore to reach 1,000. He reached 1,000 in his 58th career game. Only Tony Grier reached 1,000 career points in fewer games. Grier, who spent one season at Polk Community College before coming to USF, surpassed 1,000 in his 51st career game during his junior season. USF’s all-time leading scorer, Charley Bradley, went over 1,000 in his 59th career game during his sophomore season.
• Jones entered the Seton Hall game with 999 career points and with his 20 points against the Pirates moved into 16th place on the all-time USF scoring list with 1,019 points. He surpassed Doug Wallace’s 1,009 points for 16th all-time and is juset five points from moving past Reggie Kohn’s 1,024 points and into 15th all-time.
• After missing the UConn game because of injury, senior guard Jesus Verdejo returned to the starting lineup at Seton Hall. He has been playing on an injured right foot and has Plantar Fasciitis and Achilles Tendonitis.
• Freshman forward Augustus Gilchrist shared team-high scoring honors with Jones and tallied 20 points and seven rebounds. The 20 points were two shy of his career high and his second career game with 20 or more points in his 21 career games.
• Junior center Alex Rivas notched his first career double-double by posting career highs with 18 points and 11 rebounds.