The University of South Florida men’s tennis team dropped its first match of the season Sunday in a tough 4-3 loss to Florida Atlantic at the USF Varsity Tennis Courts. The Bulls battled valiantly though as both the doubles point and the match came down to the last game.
“Florida Atlantic came up here wanting to take it to us, and we didn’t perform the way I think we’re capable of performing,” USF head coach Don Barr said. “We played careful tennis, and that got us in trouble. We need to be more aggressive and take control of matches.”
USF split the first two doubles matches with Romain Deridder and Wael Kilani winning 8-6 at No. 3, while Yannick Yoshizawa and Juan Carlos Acuna Gerard fell 8-4 at No. 2. The No. 1 match featuring Lucas Jovita and Jamal Adderley for USF and Marc Abdelnour and Ervin Garibovic from FAU went to a tiebreaker before FAU prevailed 9-8 (12-10).
In singles, USF rebounded quickly from the doubles loss and jumped out to a 3-1 lead. Yannick Yoshizawa and Federico Sabogal were first in the win column, making quick work of their opponents at No. 5 and 3, respectively. Deridder easily handled Daniel Verdag 6-3, 6-1 following a 6-2, 6-0 win from Yoshizawa over Derek Madon. Federico Sabogal also picked up a straight-set win over Oliver Webb, 6-2, 6-2 at No. 4.
Jovita, the Intercollegiate Tennis Association’s No. 114 player, struggled in his match at No. 1, dropping a 6-1, 6-3 decision to Abdelnour. Adderley fared slightly better, battling into a third set with Garibovic before falling 7-6, 4-6, 6-3 at No. 2.
The match came down to Juan Carlos Acuna Gerard and FAU’s Marc Wakim at No. 6. Gerard rallied from down 3-0 to win the first set 6-3 and went on serve for the match in both the second and third sets, but ultimately fell 3-6, 7-6, 7-5.
The Bulls return to action on Feb. 19 with a 12 p.m. match vs. South Alabama at the Varsity Courts.
FAU 4, USF 3
Feb 13, 2011 – 12 p.m. ET
Varsity Tennis Courts – Tampa, Fla.
1. Marc Abdelnour (FAU) def. No. 114 Lucas Jovita (USF), 6-1, 6-3
2. Ervin Garibovic (FAU) def. Jamal Adderley (USF), 7-6, 4-6,6-3
3. Romain Deridder (USF) def. Daniel Vardag (FAU), 6-3, 6-1
4. Federico Sabogal (USF) def. Oliver Webb (FAU), 6-2, 6-2
5. Yannick Yoshizawa (USF) def. Derek Madon (FAU), 6-2, 6-0
6. Marc Wakim (FAU) def. Juan Carlos Acuna Gerard (USF), 3-6, 7-6, 7-5
Order of Finish – 5, 3, 4, 1, 2, 6
1. Abdelnour/Garibovic (FAU) def. Jovita/Adderley, 9-8 (12-10)
2. El Kheshen/Wakim (FAU) def. Yoshizawa/Acuna Gerard (USF), 8-4
3. Kilani/Deridder (USF) def. Vardag/Webb (FAU), 8-6
Order of Finish – 3, 2, 1