By TOM ZEBOLD
USF Senior Writer
TAMPA - Yannick Yoshizawa got sick and the Bulls gave him a nice get well gift Friday afternoon.
The Bulls rallied in singles to seal a 4-3 comeback victory over Penn State without their No. 1 singles player in action at the USF Varsity Courts.
"It made our climb even tougher," head coach Don Barr said. "The team focused and got it done. It's a great win against a good team."
Yoshizawa's inability to play meant Barr had to move everyone else up in singles and insert Oliver Pramming into the sixth slot. Pramming proved to be valuable by giving the Bulls the match with a 6-4, 5-7, 6-2 win over Chris Young in the final action of the day.
"He hasn't been playing a lot of singles. He's really a tough kid and I'm proud of him," Barr said. "That shows determination for him to be in the lineup. He really kind of woke me up there."
USF is now on a winning streak after defeating the University of Pennsylvania, 5-2, on Thursday in Tampa. The Bulls now hit the road to face VCU on Sunday and LSU on Tuesday.
"I think our levels will start taking off," Barr said. "When you win two tough ones like that you start to get over those fears of playing and you start closing matches. I'm looking forward to that happening and I can't wait to get to VCU.
USF 4, Penn State 3
March 9, 2012
USF Varsity Courts
1. Wael Kalani (USF) def. Jason Lee (PSU) 6-2, 6-7 (7-2), 6-2
2. Federico Sabogal (USF) def. Tomas Hanzlik (PSU) 6-2, 6-1
3. Russell Bader (PSU) def. Juan Carlos Acuna (USF) 6-7 (7-5), 6-0, 6-2
4. Taylor Cohen (PSU) def. Ravi Patel (USF) 6-2, 6-2
5. Lucas Marin-Salcedo (USF) def. Bryan Welnetz (PSU) 7-6 (2), 7-5
6. Oliver Pramming (USF) def. Chris Young (PSU) 6-4, 5-7, 6-2
Order of finish: 4, 2, 1, 5, 3, 6
1. R. Bader/J.Lee (PSU) def. Y.Yoshizawa/O.Pramming (USF) 8-1
2. T.Cohen/B.Welnetz (PSU) def. W.Kalani/L.Marin-Salcedo (USF) 8-4
3. C.J.Griffin/C.Hasyn (PSU) def. R.Patel/F.Sabogal (USF) 8-4
Order of finish: 2, 1, 3